It’s Challenge Time
Beer Relay, Creature XC Race, Kids’ Events, Strava Challenges and more at GO Fest 2019
The annual Anthem Go Outside Festival is jam packed with over 125 FREE activities you can try throughout the weekend of October 18-20th. While admission and most of the activities at the Anthem GO Outside Festival are free, there are some races that come with registration. (But they are definitely worth the price.) Most of the races onsite include amazing swag and prizes from outdoor brand sponsors that are unlike your average 5k.
GO Fest weekend offers competitions and races for all ability levels from 2-5 year olds, to casual adventurers, to competitive athletes — everyone can compete during Go Fest weekend – Oct. 18-20 – just make sure to register in advance for your share of race swag or prizes.
Participate in a Race at GO Fest
- Walkabout Outfitter Wild Gear Chase: From water bottles and hats to bikes and kayaks, and everything in between, everyone walks away with a piece of gear in this unique “treasure hunt.”
- Parkway Brewing Beer Relay Presented by Fleet Feet: Run four laps with your team and partake in Majestic Mullet. Plenty of prizes and a raffle. Must be 21 or older to enter.
- Creature at Carvins Cove Enduro + XC + XXC Mountain Bike Race: This two day mountain bike race series takes place at Carvin’s Cove – the 2nd largest municipal park in the US. The Sunday event is also the USA Cycling VA State Championship for XCM.
- Adventure Gym Games presented by Cox: This adventure for adults and kids alike is inspired by the popular American Ninja Warrior TV series. Participants can test their skills by attempting five obstacles including a rolling log, trapeze swing, pipe shuffle to floating boards, salmon ladder, and circuit board with a finish on the warped wall. Open to ages 5 and up, with free competitions on Saturday and Sunday from 12-3pm.
- Hometrust Bank Superhero Race: This family and dog-friendly event captures the spirit of what GO Fest is all about. You don’t have to be a professional athlete or even a serious runner to have a fun day outside; 5K runners will having timing chips, but walkers, dogs, strollers, wheelchairs, and kids are all welcome. There’s also a fun run for Little Heroes (ages up to 10) that has them leaping tall buildings and dodging kryptonite!
- Adidas Outdoors King and Queen of the Mountain Trail Running Challenge Presented by Runabout Sports: Challengers have from 7 a.m. on Oct. 7 until exactly 3:37 p.m. on Oct. 13 to post their best Strava time on the assigned segment up Mill Mountain to take top honors and win swag. The King & Queen of the mountain each receive a $200 gift card from Adidas Outdoor, and anyone who attempt the challenge will be entered to win 1-of-4 $100 prize packs from Runabout Sports Roanoke.
- Adidas Outdoor King and Queen of the Mountain Bike Challenge Presented by Runabout Sports: Challengers have from 7 a.m. on Oct. 7 until exactly 3:37 p.m. on Oct. 13 to post your best Strava time on the assigned segment up Mill Mountain on a bike to take top honors and win swag. The King & Queen of the mountain each receive a $200 gift card from Adidas Outdoor, and anyone who attempt the challenge will be entered to win 1-of-4 $100 prize packs from Runabout Sports Roanoke.
- Carilion Children’s Strider Bike Race: The cutest thing on two wheels you’ve ever seen!
- Ride Solutions Artful Alleycat: It’s not exactly a race, but it’s sure to get your blood pumping. A fun, semi-competitive bike event with surprise stops and adventurous challenges along the way. This year’s event will send you on a scavenger hunt to find urban art throughout the city.
You can find a list of all the races and details here.
The fun of GO Fest is that you get to try things you’ve never done before. It’s not for the wallflowers, although we won’t kick you out, it’s for the doers. So come and be a doer and sign up for a fun participatory event today.