10 Things You Have to Do at GO Fest 2017
The Anthem Go Outside Festival will be celebrating its eighth year this October 13-15 and there is an overwhelming amount of cool stuff to try. There are more than 150 free activities, demos, clinics, shows, and events for you to participate in on site, so deciding what to cram into your action-packed weekend can be tough.
Here is a list of some of our favorite “must try” activities. Check out our full mobile-friendly schedule of events to build your own perfect weekend of adventure at www.roanokegofest.com/schedule.
- Alley cat ride: It’s a scavenger hunt on a bike. Test your riding and navigation skills with fun antics and shenanigans featured at stops along the way.
- Ultimate Air Dogs: Watch dogs compete in categories like “longest jump” or enter your pup to jump. In 2015, a world record was set at GO Fest, by a black lab named Storey.
- Cast a line: Learn to fly fish or perfect your tying or casting technique with the pros at the Orvis Fishing Village.
- Get in the pool: Test drive a kayak or learn to stand up paddleboard (the water’s not that cold).
- Chill in an ENO: Take a break in an ENO hammock at the amazing Lotus Lounge (it’s the perfect reward after a race or ride). The lounge will also feature a Silent Disco and DJ at different times throughout the weekend.
- Huffy Toss: See how far you can throw a kid-sized bike (and earn bonus points for style). Competitors battle for bragging rights, prizes, and the craziest trophies you’ve ever seen.
- Perfect your downward dog: From first-timers to seasoned practitioners, the outdoor yoga class is the perfect spot to breathe. New for 2017 is a goat yoga session (It’s all the rage!).
- Join the Walkabout Outfitter Wild Gear Chase: Go on an urban scavenger hunt that ends in a giant gear tent. Runners are ranked by the place they finished and number of check points completed, and get to enter the giant gear tent every 30 seconds to frantically select an item from $15,000 worth of outdoor gear. Everyone is a winner in this popular event.
- Participate in a race: Pick a competitive event and give it your all! From the family- and dog-friendly Superhero 5K to the new Strava based King and Queen of the Mountain Challenge, there is something for every fitness level.
- Keen Lumberjack Show: Over the top antics from axe-throwing, to logrolling, to pole-climbing make this show a fan favorite.
No matter who you are, the Anthem Go Outside Festival has something for you. Even if you don’t want to try anything new this year (we won’t judge), you can always just grab a delicious craft beer, sample food from 15 regional food trucks, and sit back and enjoy the show.
Festival entry, tent camping, and shows are all 100 percent free to the public thanks to our amazing sponsors.